Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ah...Summer

It's summer. That means it's time for the popcorn fodder (better known as blockbuster movies) to hit the big screen. High adventure, stupid comedy, and massive amounts of special effects are synonymous with this season. And who am I to turn my back on some good theatre-going fun? Here's my list of can't miss (at least I won't miss them) movies of the summer.

Knocked Up (June 1)
I just saw this. Laugh-out-loud hilarious, heartwarming, and definitely crude--Knocked Up is a comedy lovers must-see. Seth Rogen could very well be the next Will Ferrell. He's already sporting the curly mop 'fro, and his brand of comedy made me shoot Cherry Coke out my nose. Even though the jokes are raw to say the least (what do you expect from the people who brought us The 40 Year Old Virgin?), the story is genuine and will appeal to men and women alike.

Ocean's 13 (June 8)
George Clooney has become the king of slick. And I love a really slick movie. A heist is always fun. A heist that involves the likes of Don Cheadle, Brad Pitt, and Al Pacino is right up my alley. Plus, this movie promises to be better than the previous sequel. (Steven Soderberg supposedly apologized for Ocean's 12 by making Ocean's 13.)

1408 (June 22)
John Cusack starring in a movie adapted from a Stephen King short story. You better believe I'll be seeing this one. Stephen King adaptations don't have the most solid track record, but movies from his shorts are usually very good. (Let's just forget Secret Window ever happened.) I'm always more one for classic ghost stories than slasher flicks, so 1408 is definitely my cup of tea. Oh, and did I mention that John Cusack is in it? :)

Ratatouille (June 29)
Though I wasn't 100% thrilled when I saw this preview attached to Cars last year, the story has grown on me. Besides, it's a Pixar movie. Even my least favorite Pixar movie has been better than most movies I see in a summer. With the added bonus of Brad Bird in the director's chair again, this is sure to be a very cute movie.

Live Free or Die Hard (June 29)
Bruce Willis is, without a doubt, the manliest man in Hollywood. People laughed when Sly Stallone decided to do another Rocky, but there has been no such laughter when previews for the fourth Die Hard hit the streets. And because I am such a guy when it comes to action movies, this will not be missed.

Transformers (July 4)
I am a child of the 80s. The teaser trailer that said nothing more than the title of this movie made me a little giddy. I'm suppressing the fact that Micheal Bay is directing it because I grew up loving the Transformers, and even he can't screw it up too badly.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (July 11)
If you know me at all, you know that I'm thoroughly excited about this movie. I do not see movies in their opening week, but I will be seeing this one! The fifth installment of the Harry Potter series has never been my favorite book, but after reading it the first time, I knew this would probably make one of the most exciting movies. I'm putting a lot of faith into fairly new-to-the-game writer Michael Goldenberg's script. From what I've seen in the preview, I believe the adaptation will not disappoint.

Talk to Me (July 11)
For all those who won't be standing in the long lines for Harry Potter, you should check out this smaller picture. Don Cheadle and Chiwetel Ejiofor star is this true story about an ex-con turned radio personality in Washington, D.C. circa 1960. Radio DJ humor blended with civil rights activism plus two of the finest character actors in the Business starring opposite each other? That is just icing on the cake.

Hairspray (July 20)
Remakes and I don't usually get along, but this looks like too much fun. All I can hope is that the remake brings new life to the original cult classic without disrespecting it. I'm also curious to see how spry John Travolta is in a fat suit.

Becoming Jane (August 3)
In a summer full of big movies, Becoming Jane will be a nice diversion. Jane Austen is one of my favorite writers. Her novels, and movies adapted from her novels, have been near and dear to my heart for years. Why wouldn't I want to see a movie about her life? Anne Hathaway looks perfectly comfortable in the role, and James McAvoy is such a cameleon, I don't doubt for a second that he was perfectly cast too.

Stardust (August 10)
To continue the period motif, Stardust will be a week behind Becoming Jane. Yet this movie is more than a period piece. It's more like Shakespearean fantasy...or a cross between The Princess Bride and A Midsummer Night's Dream with a bit of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen mixed in. I don't love Claire Danes, but with a cast that includes Robert DeNiro, Ian McKellen, and Ricky Gervais, can I really complain (too much) about Danes?

Superbad (August 17)
Co-written by Seth Rogen, the star of Knocked Up, Superbad is a coming-of-age/buddy comedy that is a strange cross between Freaks and Geeks and basically every 80s teen movie I've ever seen. I mean strange is a good way because this might be the sleeper comedy hit of the summer.

I know there are movies that aren't here that you think deserve to be here. In fact, there are a few that I'll probably remember after I publish. So make sure to check your local listings for some great summer blockbusters, and don't forget about the little indies either. The summer months are full of those too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have become such a huge Seth Rogen fan in the past few weeks. Luckily, he's kind of at the beginning of his career, so it didn't take long to catch up! =)