Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'm a Movie Slacker

I don't know if it's the recent move, the job, or the writers' strike, but I've been a very bad movie geek of late. Last week, Entertainment Weekly released their annual "25 Movies to See Before Oscar Night" list.

I've seen nine.

If this number doesn't baffle you, last year I'd seen 20 on the list. What's even more baffling is that I want to see at least eight more. That's a lot of missed movies!

Because of this obviously embarrassing number, I have strayed away from doing my top movies of 2007. I have also neglected making any real predictions for the Oscars. I feel that I can't do either of these things any justice without seeing some of the heavyweights first. I know this is a weak reason. Mostly because my two favorite movies of the year (No Country for Old Men and Juno) will probably stay my two favorites no matter what else I see.

Anyway, here's the list from EW (the ones in bold I've seen):
  1. No Country for Old Men
  2. Atonement
  3. Juno
  4. Michael Clayton
  5. There Will Be Blood
  6. Into the Wild
  7. American Gangster
  8. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  9. Sweeney Todd
  10. Charlie Wilson's War
  11. The Kite Runner
  12. Away from Her
  13. Eastern Promises
  14. La Vie en Rose
  15. I'm Not There
  16. A Mighty Heart
  17. Gone Baby Gone
  18. The Assassination of Jesse James...
  19. Lars and the Real Girl
  20. Hairspray
  21. 3:10 to Yuma
  22. The Savages
  23. Enchanted
  24. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
  25. Ratatouille
So, I just wanted to put this blog out there so when I do my list (because I will eventually get around to it), no one can grumble in a corner about me leaving out *fill in the blank.*

One bonus is that some of the movies are just now being released in areas outside LA and NYC. Also, a lot of them will be out on DVD before Oscar Night. I guess that means there will be lots of Netflix queue reordering in my near future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you still have me beat. Of that list of 25, I have seen ONE (and that was with you). On the up side, tomorrow afternoon I can watch Ratatouille (which I own, but just haven't watched) and DOUBLE the number of the movies I've seen.

Is there a list of movies in 2007 to avoid like the plague? Apparently most of my movie going budget goes toward those pieces of cinematic diarrhea (*cough* I Am Legend *cough*).